Beware of Grizzly!
It's not a surprise that the machinery sold under their brand isn't first class product, when you buy something for a lower price, there's a reason and it's not that the seller is especially generous.
Grizzly is a perfect example of the absolute opposite; not only isn't the company generous, they're motivated by greed.
I purchased a H8192 belt sander from Grizzly last October to use when my JET sander is otherwise occupied. Since the second day the Grizzly was in service it has been the shop problem child.
I'll not complain about the plastic wheels used on the Grizzly in place of the machined aluminum used by JET, as I stated earlier there's a reason for a lower price and this is a clear case of the difference being in quality. I can deal with the vibration transmitted to the sanding belt through these substandard wheels, cheap is cheap.
The real problem is in warranty and customer service with Grizzly.
On the second day the “machine” (I'm being kind calling it such) was in operation it wouldn't turn on. I'm an old ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician so diagnosing problems is second nature. I'm not about to send a machine back for a loose connection or broken wire that I can fix myself but in this case the cause was simple; a bad power switch. Upon removing it from the housing the melted contact was visible.
With a quality manufacturer a simple phone call to customer service would result in a replacement switch being shipped immediately under warranty. Not with Grizzly.
I was informed that my two day old machine would be tied up for several WEEKS until they had a replacement switch to supply. When I informed them that this was not an acceptable solution as I purchased the machine to use, not to store in a corner, the phone guy (customer service is a title one should earn) told me to send the machine back and they would send me another. This, again would entail WEEKS of downtime for something I paid for.
I did ask if they had a replacement machine on hand and was assured they did. When I suggested that they remove the switch from the machine they were willing to send me and replace the switch on THEIR machine I was informed “That's not going to happen....” Essentially I was told to wait and that Grizzly had no intention to reach a better solution.
It was only after I called corporate HQ and made a stink that someone decided to check other machines in their line to see if a replacement switch for one of them would solve the problem. Hours later it was found and a replacement was sent.
Not great Customer Service but it shouldn't be the job of the customer to find a way the service the problem.
The Problem child stumbled along fine, no real issues other than the expected poor quality I've come to expect from Grizzly until mid April when it again wouldn't run.
Not a switch this time as the motor buzzed when switched on. First place to check is the Start Capacitor and the BEST way to test a capacitor is to swap in a known good one. After calling Grizzly, for a replacement that would take several days to arrive I locally obtained one of the same rating. While the external dimensions were larger the local replacement would allow the machine to be used while I waited. Problem is, the capacitor isn't malfunctioning it's a bad motor. Great quality from Grizzly seven months on a motor.
When I called Grizzly again the nightmare began. They weren't happy because I was mean to their people when they were chasing me in circles about the switch, my options were “send the machine back and we'll replace of refund it.”
Realize, Grizzly lists a replacement motor and actually had on in stock, but they wanted to punish me by making it as inconvenient as possible. Another call to corporate and an agreement was reached to send a replacement motor as returning the machine was simply a *** solution.
The replacement motor showed up and was installed immediately. The replacement motor lasted TWO WEEKS. I do understand that cheap machines come with cheap components and that includes cheap motors so I again called Grizzly and asked them to send another and offered to return the “new bad” one for them to check. I was told essentially the motors are cheap enough to not warrant checking the bad one BUT the only thing Grizzly was going to do was to have me return the machine and they would send me a refund.
That's ridiculous and the worst example of customer care I have ever experienced. I own that machine, I paid for it along with the warranty that is supposed to be taking care of this issue. I asked that Grizzly send me a refund check along with a pickup slip for their machine. If they want out of their warranty obligation they can buy the machine back, but judging by the constant runaround I get whenever I needed service I'm not sure I'm comfortable trusting them to actually pay me. After several calls I acquiesced and told them to send me a pick up slip but that I would be tracing the package as well as saving evidence of what was in the package.
The owner of Grizzly doesn't accept calls, I guess he's too important or busy figuring new and different ways to screw customers.
My impression is that Grizzly plans on trying to run out the clock on the warranty to avoid taking responsibility for their low quality products and cut rate customer care.
Grizzly finally sent the pickup slip along with a letter stating that they will only accept a return of new, unused merchandise in the original package and then will deduct a 10% restocking fee and return shipping costs. Here's a link to the letter... https://www.facebook.com/1708529056041420/photos/a.1708616242699368.1073741827.1708529056041420/1708614999366159/?type=1
More Review Details
|Product or Service Quality|
What I liked
- Are cheap
What I disliked
- Attitude and poor service
- Reason of review:
- Warranty issue
- Preferred solution:
- Full refund
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Grizzly Belt Sander
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "I purchased the KitchenAid Buillt-In Combination Electric Convection Oven and Microwave Oven in the summer of 2012. Last night I ran the self-cleaning cycle for perhaps the second or..."
- "I purchased a 50-inch TV during the first shopping event at Walmart Thanksgiving Day for the one hour guarantee. Upon arriving home (2-hours away from the store), I entered..."
- "Will not order from Office Depot again. Ordered a Danby washer on 20 March 2016 and arrived on 1 April 2016. Only after calling to find where my shipment was..."
- "My mum bought LG Leon H345 at TMobile 82nd St Jackson Heights NY at brand new price. She did not check the phone because she bought it in good faith...."
- " i recently brought those jeans and as you can see they have a rip in them that i did not notice and the would not take them back even..."
- "BEWARE!! DO NOT BUY THEIR GARBAGE!! This is is horrible fake, lying, sham of a company!! They steal copyrighted photos of other designer's clothing that is not theirs..."
- "Having worked for nine years and had Frontier service as long. They have Tech's that will add services to your billing and until you discover it they won't return any..."
- " Today 10/25/2016 we went into the Chili's in Arroyo Grande California and waited for 15 to 20 minutes to be seated we were never acknowledged or never approached. ..."
- "buena pagina para comprar articulos a buenos precios. tienen de todo un poco, desde articulos para decoracion de uñas a .40 centavos de dolar hasta celulares xiaomi recien lanzados al mercado! la..."